1 cup dried red kidney beans or small red beans (Soak
overnight in 3 cups water)
3 cups cold water
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teasp salt
1/4 teasp dried chili pepper flakes
/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
Extra-virgin olive oil
finely chopped cucumber
finely chopped tomato
- Place the beans in a saucepan and add the water and
garlic and bring to boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered,
until the beans are tender, about 1 hour for small red beans, longer for
- Transfer the beans and cooking liquid to a food
processor and purée, in batches if necessary
- Place in a serving bowl. The consistency should
be like that of thick soup, stir in a little warm water if necessary.
- Stir in the salt, chili flakes, cumin, parsley and
- Let stand for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to
blend, sprinkle on a little olive oil and cayenne.
- Serve with bread for dipping.