Egyptian Banana and Nuts Katayef
Pancakes stuffed with banana and nuts in a sugar syrup
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp dried yeast
pinch of salt
50g butter for frying
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tblsp lemon juice
100g crushed nuts
- Put ingredients for sugar syrup into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and cool.
- Mix first four ingredients into a dough, cover and allow to stand for 30 minutes at room temperature. Shape dough into four pancakes of 10 cm diameter and fry on both sides in butter.
- To make the stuffing: Peel the bananas and mash with a fork mix in the nuts and saltans.
- Place the stuffing mixture on each pancake, fold in half and press the edges together well.
- Deep fry at 175c and soak in the cold sugar syrup. Place in a sieve to remove excess sugar syrup.