1 500g brown lentils (drained for 1 hour)
9 cups water
½ cup olive oil
2 large onions, sliced
2 Tsp sea-salt
1 Tsp ground black pepper
1 fennel root, minced
- Cook lentils with 3 cups water for 20 minutes, then
turn off fire, filter lentils and keep the cooking water in a separate dish.
- Fry onions in a big pot until they get brownish, then
add lentils and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cooking water, and 5 more cups water and bring
soup to boiling point.
- Add the other ingredients (not fennel yet), and cook
on low fire for 45 minutes.
- Turn off fire, and add fennel.