Fried Beef and Almond Parcels
Spicy beef with crushed almonds, onion and garlic
250g Beef Mince
1 Cup Plain Flour
1 Cup Self-raising Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Sugar
3/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Crushed Almonds
2 Brown Onions, finely chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Coriander
1/4 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
Oil for deep frying
- Make the pastry - combine the flours, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and rub into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and mix until a dough forms then place onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 6–7 minutes.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and rest at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the spices and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the crushed almonds and cook for 2–3 minutes until lightly golden then remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 4–5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the beef and cook for 4–5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until evenly browned.
- Add the spices over the mince and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the crushed almonds and mix until combined then place in the fridge for 15 minutes until cool.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 3 mm thick then use a 9 cm pastry cutter to cut out the rounds.
- Take one piece of dough and brush half of the edge lightly with water.
- Place 1 tablespoon full of filling into the centre, then fold it into half to form a semicircle.
- Pinch edges together to seal then crimp with a fork.
- Heat 10 cm of oil in a deep frying pan to 170c.
- Fry the pies, in batches of 3-4, for 2–3 minutes until golden then drain on paper towel.
- Allow to cool then serve.