Egyptian Fytir Mashaltit Bread
Traditional layered bread from Upper Egypt
(Aslo spelt as Fatir, Fetir, Fitir or Feteer and Mishaltit, Meshaltit, Mashaltet.)
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Butter
- Sift the flour then make a well in the middle then add in the water and salt.
- Mix the dough well to make a smooth consistency then knead and stretch it several times for about 10 minutes then set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Using a rolling pin spread out the dough to paper thin into the shape of a large circle, pushing out at the edges all around, gently so as not to tear the dough.
- Generously brush the whole dough with the melted butter then fold over from all sides and repeat about 6 times (coating each time with the butter).
- Shape the dough into a circle, about 30cm in diameter.
- Place the fytir on a butter greased baking try then bake at 180c for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- It can be served as either sweet topped with cream, honey and crushed nuts or savoury topped with fetta or mish cheese.